under construction! Don't be alarmed, new layout coming soon...yeah right

Friday, January 2, 2009

We All Have The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (2008)



What a movie.

I haven’t followed David Fincher’s work as much as I’d like (although check out the magical assembly cut of Alien 3). I basically got a lot of shit for not seeing Fight Club freshman year of college.

So I was slightly apathetic when I first heard of The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button even thought my peers sang praises for Zodiac. However, I have always respected Brad Pitt and I often fall in love with Cate Blanchett so I was excited to see their performances.

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button is about (in case you haven’t heard by now) a man who is born looking like an old man and ages backward through several eras. As someone said he is a man of his condition and Benjamin touches lives and sees history literally happening right before him.

Before this film was released those who had seen it were hailing it a masterpiece, but as I sit today, critics are as sharply divided as my friends. Roger Ebert had a heart attack at the very premise whereas Sasha Stone from Awards Daily is in love with it. Most average moviegoers call it a masterpiece whereas film majors and filmmakers call it essentially a Forrest Gump rip-off (Eric Roth wrote both screenplays). So how do I feel?

It’s a beautiful movie and if you don’t have respect for Brad Pitt after this film than I think you have lost your way. He is simply electric, transformative and when he finally comes of age it takes your breath away.

Cate Blanchett is no slouch either. Although I love her more in other films, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button is just as much about her as it is about Pitt. Daisy is a normal girl who meets this strange man and falls in love with him, but it isn’t that easy. I think it’s unfair to think of her as shallow, what would you do if you met Benjamin Button?

Ultimately how I feel about this film is more important than any kind of logic. Is it a masterpiece? No. Will it win best picture at the Oscars? It’s a possibility. Will it stick with me? Yes. There is something so irrevocably sad about The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button and this man’s life through history. I’m more inclined to cherish those I love and I’m grateful for that enlightenment more than anything.

Trailer:


The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button on IMDB
Awards Daily for all your movie needs
Roger Ebert's slightly curious review

No comments: